Invisible College II - The Blind Spot <$BlogRSDUrl$>
Fill out your e-mail address
to receive our newsletter!
Powered by YourMailinglistProvider.com



Saturday, September 23, 2006


Toxic spill on the International Space Station





US astronaut Jeffrey Williams packages air samples he took after a toxic spill aboard the ISS (Image: NASA TV)

Three astronauts cleaned up a chemical spill onboard the International Space Station on Monday morning. The cleanup appears to have contained the problem and NASA believes the crew is safe.
NASA says a small amount of toxic potassium hydroxide may have been released from an oxygen vent that is part of the Elektron oxygen generator on the Russian side of the space station.
When inhaled, potassium hydroxide can cause a burning sensation, cough, sore throat and shortness of breath. The crew collected air samples to send to Earth later and activated a filtering system to try to rid the air of the chemical.

* 19 September 2006
* NewScientist.com news service



posted by AnnBlogs  # 2:08 PM


Archives

January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   May 2007   August 2007   October 2007   December 2008   August 2011  



Free Web Page Hit Counters
MINDS HAVE BEEN ALTERED WHILE READING THIS PAGE...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?